Sunday, September 23, 2007

Blue Wolf - To The Ends Of Earth And Sea


Just finish watching it and the only thing epic about it is it's running time. Let me back up for a minute. The story follows 3 generations of Temujin (Genghis Khan) life. I have to admit I know very little of Genghis Khans life so I'm viewing the movie as a history lesson as well. Temujin isn't born until about 30 minutes in to the film. As he grows older loyalty and love are put to the test. Torn with a friendship vow he took many years ago with Jamuqa (Yusuke Hirayama). Betrayal in the highest regard to which he would become the new Khan. This puts their friendship to it's limits, ultimately all in the name of power. This to me is where the film fails. The battles should have been in grand scale but we are left with five minute battles that fails to capture the feel and the importance of these historical battles. I understand the film was more of the life of Genghis rather then a war hero, more of an intimate look at his life in which case I'm OK with. But on the other hand we are talking about someone who had power in most of Asia, the film just felt like we were missing something. Did they have this film with kids in mind? Cause throughout it all I keep asking myself was this a kids movie. Don't get me wrong it's a good film about the beginnings of Genghis Khan but I was left with wanting more. In the end it felt more like a TV made movie then an Epic tale from Japan. Which is all the more reason I'm looking forward to seeing Mongol. Having Sergei Bodrov direct it I hope he brings a different view of Genghis.

I think Kurosawa is to be blamed for this, as he spoiled me with his battle scenes which no other can come close to matching.

Also I do have to tip my hat to the cast of Blue Wolf, they did an incredible job. I found myself caring on what would happen to some of the characters. Which is a very good thing, it helps me get in to the film more.

No comments: